Sunday, June 23, 2013

Movie Review: Gwanghae (Masquerade)


Release Date: September 13, 2012
Genre: Period, Political
Casts:
Synopsis:
It tells the story of the King's doppelganger, Ha Sun who temporarily assumed the role of a King in the palace. It started when King Gwanhae felt a conspiracy building up against his throne. He suspected the perpetrators of plotting to poison him. To avoid such danger, he ordered the councilor to find someone who would look exactly like him as his replacement in the palace while he exits to avoid the danger and also, to sneak into his mistress' home during the night in his advantage. With the process of searching, they found Ha Sun, a clown who greatly resembles King Gwanghae and could even imitate the way he speaks.



Unfortunately, the King suffered from poison and was taken into a secret safe house. As they didn't want to divulge the situation to the public, Ha Sun had to take his role play longer until the King recovers. Slowly, Ha-Sun's own personality comes out and the people in the King's inner court notice the changes. The King appears more humane to those around him and far less volatile. While Ha-Sun's true voice comes out, enemies within the King's inner circle plan their next move.


Review:
I was very ecstatic to watch this movie for so many reasons. First, it's Lee Byung Hun's movie, second Han Hyo Joo is in it, third, it's a box office hit in Korea and lastly, I'm a huge fan of sageuk dramas so I had great expectations from this movie overall. It started really well in opinion, the clarity of the story was laid down first before anything else, there's no backtracking or anything like that, it is purely future tensed. Though I'm not anymore used to this kind of setting most especially to k-dramas so I think, that makes it quite different from the others that I'm currently watching.But, I love that element of this movie.

Ha Sun is an entertainment in itself as well, he really lives up to being a clown as he subtly injected his character all the way to being a King. Though he took the role of a King lightly at first, he then eventually developed desire of serving the people through his basic understanding of their needs. He speaked great volumes of humanity through his leadership that would connect with the people. I was moved and impressed by his transformation in the movie.

Han Hyo Joo on the other hand was given a significant role but then I felt like her screen time fell short which I understood because in the first place, the story didn't focused on her. But then I was expecting her character to shine in the movie as well. Anyway, she's fabulous as ever, a true bankable actress in her generation.

Overall, the highlight is obviously on Ha Sun, my favorite character who made me laugh and cry. Lee Byung Hun's portrayal is remarkable in the movie an that was amazing. Though that is already expected of him. Anyhow, I would suggest that it could have been more effective if they let Lee Byung Hun pass for the movie this time, already a King that he is to the Korean drama industry, to other actors which I believe there are a lot to choose from. That's just my wish though, it could have been a break through for others and I know it will just be as amazing as it turned out to be. 

Will non k-drama fans love it?

- No, just because if you're not used to sageuk, period dramas are boring.


My Rating: Borderline of above average and greatness.

I can't decide, though this movie was really fulfilling to watch. I get a lot overwhelming greatness from sageuk k-dramas already, even in the past. I was seeking for something more, [spoiler] perhaps if they managed to make Ha Sun as King, then that could have made a slight difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment