Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Iljimae



Release Date: May 21, 2008
Genre: Period, Comedy, Action, Drama
Characters:

Synopsis:

Aside from Hong Gil Dong, we also have one of our noted heroes from the Joseon Dynasty, Iljimae. Both heroes are charismatic, influential and well respected in their own ways and even though their work can be comparable to each other, we can always distinguish their individuality as a person and as a hero.


To start with, Iljimae's background is from a family which has a royal blood. His childhood went as a cheerful boy full of positive outlook in life inherited from his beloved father, a government official willed with passion to serve the people. However, due to ill purpose of his colleagues and by the King himself, he was accused of treason which he didn't commit. His relationship with the King who happens to be his brother was tainted by greed and power that caused his death. The loss led to their family's breakdown as they were wrongly charged while the kid who witnessed his father being slain by unrecognized individual, went missing after the incident. Fortunately, the kid was saved by people who treated him like their own. Due to trauma, the kid suffered from memory loss or temporary amnesia which he eventually recovered years later. This is where Iljimae emerged.

Comments:


Not bad for a hero ehh? But basically, this is where Iljimae is driven, to find the mastermind in the killing of his father. Iljimae just like Hong Gil Dong who had nothing left on him, delightfully accepted his faith. Ehh? You must be thinking by now our heroes have such pitiful lives to begin with and I painfully agree. Ehh? There goes the saying "when you are left with nothing then you become fearless". Probably that affected their attitude towards putting their lives after the others or doing the hard and risky things, the better. Such character is applauded with admiration and respect. As a viewer, you could only wish you were able to contribute to such goodness. Right?


I have read dramabeans' review about Iljimae and it was not as favorable as they did with Hong Gil Dong. The one who did the review has a lot of things to compare and reasons to be biased with Hong Gil Dong which I truly respect. However, I won't totally agree with what she said that Lee Jun Ki (Iljimae) was exaggerating his character and pushing himself too much. I thought in my honest opinion, he did an excellent job on portraying Iljimae and even though Kang Ji Hwan or Hong Gil Dong has captivated me first, I never felt like Lee Jun Ki was just copying him or something like that because they are different and both are excellent in their own ways. Hee. That's just my opinion anyway because even when you let me choose between the actors who took the roles in real life, I won't be able to do so. That's hard. Sorry.


I can just go on saying so many good things about this drama. The jokes are spot on, it's hilarious and natural. The OST is as equally excellent as to Hong Gil Dong's which haunted me for days I could only cry. Then of course the love interest is just as beautiful and charming as Yi Nok,  Eun Chae which was portrayed by Han Hyo Joo. And of course, Park Shi Hoo was just amazing in his role also I couldn't help myself but to love him and I will continue to love him as an actor. The action, the jokes, the drama, and everything that comes in between are all commendable. So I thought it wouldn't hurt to give my love to Iljimae like the way I did to Hong Gil Dong and because of that I'm giving it a perfect 5/5 as well, an excellent drama series!

No comments:

Post a Comment