Saturday, July 23, 2016

Review: Beautiful Gong Shim (2016)

SPOILER ALERT!!!


I finished the drama a few days ago and until now when I think of it, I’m still really not over how it ended. Overall, I think that I had a great time watching because it’s fun and when you watch it together with someone it makes it even better because I think that you both look at the perspective of the characters both at the same time and you learn something from each of the episodes. Also, this drama is full of positivity and lovely gestures that put warmth in your heart especially that the supporting characters were not the evil cruel that will consume the story. Even though that kind of element is not eliminated from the story, there is a force that puts the good in a better position than the bad. I also think that in a matter of perspective but this drama is really above the average to me. It’s not the best because there are clichés that every other Kdrama has but the delivery of each episode was also being considered well and if that was the case, then they really made a great romantic-comedy drama. However, if I have one complaint from the series, that is how they have ended it because they could have extended it more. Having said it that way is a compliment because I really wanted more of it and I really wanted to know how the characters have evolved after 1 year. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they should have shown Gong Shim and Dante having a family but in general, I wanted a preview of how they will start over again. So I felt that what they have revealed is not enough to suffice my thirst from it. The ending just reminds me of the last book I finished which is China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan where it was so nakakabitin (open-ended). You should check that book too if you have time and it’s also the sequel of Crazy Rich Asians. They’re really hilariously scandalous and fun book.


Anyway, I’m talking about all sort of stuff here but I feel so comfortable typing down my thoughts regarding this right now so please bear with me.

Then of course, I think that this drama is not compelling and maybe there is a contradiction in it as to why I think that this is beyond average. It’s not compelling in a sense that it was typical. Gong Shim’s was written in a way that she was being downplayed from the beginning but then she started to pick herself up and have the courage to transform herself into a better person who will stand up for herself. By then, a prince charming comes in the way to help her when he’s seen the beauty of her personality which to him is attractive. So when they met, Ahn Dante was the one who was sticking with her like a gum and was the first one who had heart fluttering moments. But then, there was a change of scenario and suddenly Gong Shim was the one who was going after him. By that time, she realized how important he is that she started to make an effort in making him feel special as well but because it was complicated for Dante, he had to turn her down. So that was the time that girl has learned how to do her own way for the only person who has believed in her talent and ability and for being the one who has made her feel special. On that note, it was typical but then there is a character development which was to me, excellent portrayal. But then it is still not compelling because they did not show the backstory of Gong Shim. So why was she being like a loser from the start way before she met Dante? I felt that if they have shown some clips in her younger days or could have shown more of her memories, then I could have understood her better. However, I think that it was actually not a bad thing for the story but also, insufficient. It was average to me on that aspect.

On the contrary of that, their romance was a great showing because they respected the idea of what Gong Shim and Ahn Dante could offer to each other. Thinking about it on that perspective, the drama was superb. Dante entered the life of Gong Shim just at the right moment when she was at her lowest point so he was there to give her the momentum to be her own by showing to her the real side of him being Ahn Dante himself and annoying her. Through those actions he’s made, she gained confidence. When I think of it, the story was written in a most romantic way because Gong Shim also waited for Dante to finish off his personal matter first before she could jump into the picture so she only assured him of friendship and support. Aren’t these two just perfectly made for each other just like the people who are in love with each other in real life? I could totally relate to this kind of romance for my own love life. Why else am I writing about it if it’s not for the hope of having the same story as theirs: One that is ideal but also relatable? So please can I have the Dante in my life now? I have so much to talk about them I am so jealous. Haha.

I am also very pleased by how Joon Soo and their family have revealed to be because I also felt their warmth towards each other. Because of that, I feel that Joon Soo was a well written character because his soft heartedness came from his parents. He’s also a sweet friend and he knows how to put friendship over everything in the world so he’s willing to give up his feelings for Gong Shim without bad blood to Dante. To me, he’s being very unselfish and he’s such a breath of fresh air for a second lead because from the start he’s been very consistent and he’s been such a sweetheart that his smile could light up this whole town of mine. Jks. Haha. But seriously it would be great to have him both as a friend and as a lover. I am also pleased by the fact that he was not being used in the drama like how second leads are where they get to end up with good-for-nothing fellows just because the lead has pushed her away. No. In his case, he was well being preserved for the right woman and I felt it through my heart piercing for his pain. In that sense, I felt that he’s such a strong character that he wouldn’t let himself break for the people he loves because he knew that when it happens, his world will fall apart. The world has been pretty cruel to him as well because Dante’s grandmother, who also happens to be his never appreciated his existence from the family but he never gave in to his emotions just he just tried his best to understand the cruelty. If in real life, there are guys who are like him for me who’s good looking, attractive, nice, family oriented then I wouldn’t ask for more. (I’m in my dreams again haha)

I couldn’t possibly miss Gong Shim’s Family in this review because I feel that there is so much to tell about them. At the start, the impression was not good for the reason that her sister was the one being favored over her so she needed to give up her own dreams for the sake of her sister’s. But as the story continued, they were able to redeem themselves as they have shown her concern, support and love. I think that they were being misinterpreted in the beginning but at least, they were able to show more of what is within the family. Perhaps, they were only revealing the perspective of Gong Shim which was not the best possible introduction.

Finally, you should check out this drama. It is so entertaining though you might get caught up with Ahn Dante’s family drama. Nevertheless, you will find it fulfilling in the end. If you are looking for the next Kdrama crack, Gong Shim is perfectly imperfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment