Sunday, September 1, 2013

Review: I Hear Your Voice

Watch It Online!

Synopsis: 

Park Soo Ha (Lee Jong Suk) is a high school student with an extraordinary ability to read the thoughts of people, that are running through their mind. The ability was acquired after the traumatic accident that happened to him 11 years ago which caused the death of his father. At first, it was speculated that the accident was a simple hit and run case but in the long run, it was found out to be deliberate. The suspect insisted otherwise; however there was a witness who could prove his guilt and that lies in the evidence of a picture that she captured at the scene. That witness was Jang Hye Sung (Lee Bo Young) who bravely showed herself in the court. Eleven years later, she became a public defense attorney. Meanwhile the suspect, Min Jong Guk, was bailed out of his charges. Everything was normal and peaceful until Min Jong Guk appeared to seek retaliation.

First Impression:

I had high expectations for this series and so, I was really excited to watch the first episode. I knew that Park Soo Ha is nowhere an ordinary child, but that ability of his is really cool. I would want to have that special skill to be mine. But then, it was quite irrational most especially with the kind of setting that they have – school and the trial court. I found it hard for me to accept that kind of set up. So, I was curious about so many things which included: on how they would rationalize the fantasy element and on what exactly is its essence to the story. Well, that ability which is to ‘hear your voice’ and that can be translated to ‘read your mind’ speaks loudly about the title but I needed further extraction of details to it. I was doubtful about the whole thing but then I knew that those doubts were beneficial to the series because I developed my curiosity towards it. However, it’s one of the series that I quickly wanted to put an end into because the cinematography wasn't that impressive. Yes, the story caught my attention, Lee Jong Suk was getting my interest already but it was only until episode 2 that I appreciated him. The cinematography was only a bit underwhelming as compared with its immense popularity among viewers.


Characters:
Park Soo Ha - Him wearing headphones or earphones all the time is because his ability to read thoughts of other people's mind has made his world  noisier than normal. Hence, it serves as a way for him to calm his environment. 
Jang Hye Sung's face upon seeing the number of applicants like her to become a public defense attorney.
Commentaries:

Park Soo Ha. Park Soo Ha. Park Soo Ha. (repeats)

Would that make me bias? Yes, and I will claim that fact because I wasn’t really interested about anything that the drama projects other than his character's appearance. This isn’t related to Soo Ha’s extraordinary ability to read minds but this is mostly because of that sunny smile of his radiating all over his face. So basically I couldn’t see myself getting immersed with the whole kind of that special gift of his.

Love line: I caught myself smiling at some instances of the romance between him and Jang Hye Sung. Though I see them more as siblings than couples, I love the events where Soo Ha put his arms around her waist or her body. It’s cute, yes but not as lovers. If I were to put judgment on that aspect, I’d be half pleased and half unsatisfied – because the actors were actually good with acting out the feelings, but unimpressed because the age gap is visible for the both of them. I acknowledge the intention though, which is great because they laid something different and new to offer.

The execution of the story was too idealistic as well, and that the theme of putting justice properly just like what they did in the story is too good to be true. I see it as a rather heavy input to the story that would most likely to contradict its optimism. However, I commend their effort to bring out all the values needed. Idealism comes when their topic is too complicated for the general viewing to internalize, and that the lawyers or the members of the trial court in the country would be more suited for it. I guess, it would be too good for them as well. Hence, these values that were developed wouldn’t materialize as they try hard to instill them. Maybe it’s me being pessimistic because justice is somehow manipulated in so many ways so my faith to its impact is cynical. It could be better if they characterized the bitter truth and reality of what it really is like out there. That would mean, flexibility of their audience. Besides, we don’t need to sugarcoat a drama to come up with a good show. That consistency should have made better through the proper setting of events and also, a more creative application of Soo Ha’s ability that is, in my opinion shouldn’t be used inside the court house.

Rating: So good, above average. 


No comments:

Post a Comment