Monday, September 30, 2013

Halftime Report: Can We Get Married?

Synopsis:

It’s a story about a couple who’s been together for three years and now, they have thought of marriage as the next chapter of their relationship. However, there are a lot of preparations that couples have to go through which is why the title leaves you with a question mark in the end. Those hardships include the stress of introducing your family to each other in order to get used with life of being part of each other’s family. In this case, Hye Yeon and Jong Hoon is just a normal couple who went through a lot of ups and downs in their relationship that served as a test to their love. Now, since we know that we have to consider a lot of things before the day of the wedding, can we expect a happy ending for them? Most especially that in the story, their family has the key influence in their lives and most especially, in their marriage.

Reaction:

I am starting to really appreciate Cable dramas more than ever. Nope. Scratch that, ever since I saw Reply Me 1997, I thought that it was the beginning of things changing in favor of cable dramas in the context of producing and directing quality series.

Yeah, like what has been said, Cable dramas are painfully awesome that I come to a point wherein I have no interest or faith in dramas broadcasted by the three big TV stations in Korea like I used to, unless otherwise recommended by many and is approved by the general public through high ratings. But then, yes, I still have a long list of must-watch from them which I think are 3-5  years old as we speak. With regards to the current trend, cable dramas are damn amazing.

So to enumerate a few of my favorites aside from Reply Me 1997 are Heartless City and Nine: 9 Times Time Travel while Flower Boy Next Door and Flower Boy Ramyun are for runner ups.

Much of my introduction,  I guess this drama is just purely refreshing to me because I reached episode 13, I’m up to episode 14 now, without feeling bored or without being able to predict the ending whether it’ll be a happy ending or not. Though I felt that after episode 11, everything’s become fast paced. I guess the main reasons of its unpredictability are the characters in the life and environment of our couple: friends and family in which both have chances of getting into picture anytime.

So, basically the story is just not about Jong Hoon and Hye Yeon but the other significant characters as well whom they truly care and respect as well. I see it as a good thing because we’re not only confined with the story of their relationship but the bigger picture of their environment because I’m a fan with such effort portrayed in dramas. I’m just truly impressed at how they are able to bring out these circumstances in the series without having to compromise the story of our couple. Though they may come off as a challenge to their relationship but more than anything else, it’s because the drama is just being practical about it. Like, if you can’t deal with the problem now, then when is the right time to deal with it? That’s real life story in this drama.

I particularly appreciate how they don’t exactly divulge the feelings of the characters. Unlike in other dramas, we already know what a person or a character feels for a certain situation, but for this drama they build curiosity for the audience to keep on guessing what’s going through the mind of the a person. I thought that it’s interesting because it is able to bring out the reality from the circumstances; and in application to real life scenario, we can’t exactly read the personality of each and everyone of us, even with the closest family member we have.  

Furthermore, I felt engaged with the story as well and while it gives you the real life expectations of getting married, it also an eye opener about the reality of love. Is love everything that it takes for a relationship to work? Now, I’d even want to conduct a survey or even a study about couples’ opinion on the most important attitude of couples for a relationship to last forever. Is it the security of love? Loyalty? Trust? Or can it be possible to teach yourself how to love a person in convenience to your business? These questions you’d have somehow suggest how complicated relationships can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment