Friday, December 27, 2013

Taiwanese - Chinese Movie Review: "A Moment of Love" / "Season of Love"


Release Date: August, 2013
Casts:

Vic Zhou - Xiu Nian Zu
Liu Shishi - Jing Ya Qing

In a nutshell: Self discovery brought by the course of traveling with a stranger. This drama is about love in many forms, and that includes finding meaning to what self love is about.

Synopsis: Xiu Nian Zu (Vic Zhou) traveled to China from Taiwan to find an old lady named Ya Qing. His purpose was to deliver a compilation of letters written to her by an old lover, his grandpa who passed away - with whom he wanted his last thoughts through his letters be fulfilled. However, she moved from place to place. Fortunately, he met a lady by chance with a similar name, Jing A Qing to help him find her. She (Liu Shi Shi) is a writer of a magazine publication who happens to be engaged to her fiancé; however due to a request by a friend, she volunteered to do the work and write a feature of a story through going on a travel. This coincidence gave her an opportunity to write a good feature so she offered to help Xian Zu find the old lady Jing A Qing. By chance of destiny - perhaps that was too much of coincidence though, it's a once in a lifetime journey of life that they shouldn't miss.

Commentaries: The story is cliche and a familiar plot to a romantic movie. But I think that this film has something special and different to offer the audience. The cinematography played a bigger role than the story to be effective I must say and I believe that it was amazing. Moreover, the acting was spot on and a good blend with emotion, there wasn't any dramatic background music either. There was the raw feelings playing its own role in the movie. That aspect was very touching and at the same time, made it very authentic.

Moving on to the other inspiration brought to me by the movie is the self discovery in the experience of traveling, which is an enrichment and finding a portion of one's self. What is there that is also important as the beautiful scenery? Of course, the emphasis of nature is the best while the introduction of a new culture to study is another awesome treat to indulge with. Other than what is expected from the movie, I thought that everything is refreshing and I really appreciate the breath taking view it offers.

Overall, the movie lingered into me and I had so much to learn about from watching, apart from the fun it gives. Is it a movie that I would dare to recommend? Of course! I think this is worth it, it's not unpredictable but the impact on someone is explosive in my opinion.

On the actors, I've known Vic for more than a decade already and I still see the younger version of him while watching, but he has improved immensely. He still has that charming aura that never fails to make my heart flutter. On the other hand, Liu Shi Shi who is a very popular Chinese actress but is not familiar to me. I really love the way she carried herself though. I love her, all in all. She has left a very good and long lasting impression on me and I would love to see it as a foundation to more of her projects that I will be seeing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment