Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First Impression: Grandpa Over Flowers

It's a new variety series of tvN headed by my favorite PD in variety shows whom I first met through 1 Night and 2 Days, PD Na.


If you're familiar with season 1 of 1N2D, you'd probably agree with me that it was the best! Ever. The show swept me away all throughout. I remember being so obsessed with it that it stole the spotlight from K-dramas. The show is simply fun, feel good and spouting joys and more of it. I suppose the brilliant key to its unbeaten success and loyalty from viewers was the acquired chemistry of the casts over the years. You can just imagine working together within 5 years and more and spending 2-3 days a week exclusively. Who wouldn't get attached if that's the case? The casts came from the different entertainment backgrounds that consisted variety hosts (Kang Ho Dong & Lee Su Geun),  music icons (MC Mong, Kim C & Eun Ji Won), comedians (Kim Jong Min), dramas actors (Lee Seung Gi & Uhm Taewoong) and a dog. It was a recognizable chemistry built from taking trips to various places in S. Korea and to few opportunities abroad as well.




The cast is a list of some of the most veteran and well respected actors in the industry featuring names such as  Lee Soon Jae, Shin Gu, Park Geun Hyun and Baek Il Sub while also featuring the charismatic Lee Seo Jin, who actually plays more of a Lee Seung Gi character from 1 Night 2 Days. 


Why am I talking much about 1N2D when I should be focusing on Grandpa Over Flowers? As much as I hate to admit that I am bias,  it's also because I find the themes quite similar to each other which is not surprising anymore. Though, of course they offer different facets of fun. Nonetheless, they are worthy of similarities as reality shows with contingent plans, undertakings and goals incorporating to PD Na's exceptional  production. And because of that, I anticipated it a lot even when I'm not familiar with the grandpas in cast. As much as fun is concerned, I'm in.


I opted to watch the show with clearer images but without subs than subbed but with low quality video. Though I know it could have been more interesting if I understood the conversations and commentaries made. I was thankful that I still enjoyed it thoroughly anyway. I needed no cue to what was hilarious, I wasn't late with my reactions so obviously, there was no translation needed in order to laugh. I loved the graphics, the stickers and emoticons appropriately made, and the background tone as well. The show is expressive and was made natural because of the age group of our participants despite of the scripted add ons to it.



What happened: The Grandpas held a meeting with PD Na to talk about their trip to Paris and since it's a new country to explore, they needed a tour guide. However they chose someone who's not familiar with the place, it's Lee Soo Jin. The plot twist is that he was poorly instructed and informed of the arrangements and the agenda of the show. Moreover, he thought he would be going with SNSD's Sunny and 4Minutes's Hyuna en route to Europe just to learn otherwise when he arrived at the airport.




Hilarious! But poor him being the youngest. His reactions are priceless, and he was all sweaty inside most of the time especially that he's with his seniors in the industry. Anyhow, he did a great job with his responsibility. I'm looking forward to a more interactive phase of the show in episode 2.



We wouldn't miss these captivating scenery of Europe as well and I'm hoping for more of this! At least I get to feel like I'm travelling in these places through this show.


No comments:

Post a Comment