Friday, June 10, 2016

Kdrama: I Have a Lover

It's been two months since I've been away from blogger sphere but I'm back now to give a review on the Kdrama that took 50 hours of my viewing time, I Have a Lover. So I want to show how much this Kdrama took over my life. But of course, I only watched this on my free time so I'm excited to recommend this to you.

Disclaimer: I am not a huge fan of Kdramas but there are forces that draw me into watching and one of them is that every Kdrama and actors that portray a role are special. In that sense, I feel that there has to be a connection between me and a Kdrama in order for me to like it. My second confession would be, I am not a huge fan of 50 episodes Kdrama, I avoid them even when the actors are the ones that impress me. So, I have been reluctant on this but since I realized after reading a book called "The Girl Who Played with Fire" which took me one month to finish, then I could do it to a Kdrama as well. Before jumping into this addiction, I was into Japanese movies first and I watched quite plenty of them like Anohana Live Action which is my most favorite, 5cm per second (anime), The Girl Who Leapt through Time, The Black Devil and The White Prince and No Longer Heroine to mention some. So I guess, it’s fate that I watched I Have A Lover because I am not jumping into melodrama but I dived into this which is quite amazing actually. I really liked it.


Plot: This drama is a romantic, family melodrama with a bit of comedy that revolves around Do Hae Kang (Kim Hyun Joo) and her husband Choi Jin Eun (Ji Jin Hee). Then there is a backstory to their families in which Do Hae Kang has a twin sister, DokKo Yong Gi (Kim Hyun Joo) and they met after 30 years.

In this drama, you will have to go through 10 episodes of flashback or 9 episodes which set the phase to where is the story will go after. Then maybe this is a spoiler but I have to say it beforehand. The start is slow but you'll find yourself loving episode 11 unto the very end which is exciting. But I loved everything about it because I believe that skipping is unnecessary and that you will lose understanding of where the characters are coming from. 

If you're here for romance or perhaps angst and revenge, then maybe don't expect too much because all I have seen from watching are hope, love and redemption. There are times that the eyes of the actors are expressive and watery and they put so much emotion into acting like they really owned their character. It was such a pleasure to see those characters come to life.

Kim Hyun Joo and Ji Jin Hee looked like they were actual couple because of the chemistry that they have. Daebak. But let me also talk about Kim Hyun Joo's chemistry with every male leads in this Kdrama because she took 3 roles and all of her roles are convincing and she's so versatile. Though of course, she was most amazing with Ji Jin Hee without any bias at all.

The umma, Hae Gang and Yong Gi's mom is really heartfelt as well I could see the pain in her eyes, she was excellent as well. Then I wouldn't miss the kid, Dokko Woo Joo who's very adorable and her existence make me cry too because she's beautiful. The warmth that they give off is one of the reasons why I love this drama.

What I also loved is the process of their lives that no matter how complicated it was, it was very meaningful to engage into. It was also the lessons learned by the characters that in real life, we often encounter. But the biggest lesson I guess is that you can always go back to your innocence as long as you have someone to love. 

Why do I recommend this Kdrama? I think it's because there is character building and it doesn't give you a lead as clear as crystal like a righteous being but rather it gives you hope and chances that you may find from the people that you have hurt in the past. It's just beautiful to watch this Kdrama and to look for something that we must reflect into our lives.

My favorite quote would have to be: "If you don't do anything, nothing will change."

Here is also my favorite OST from the drama and you can see a preview of what to expect from it. Enjoy!



Okay, so after watching this clip, I  realized that I really miss this drama so much. Like, it was everything I watched for almost 2 weeks and I tried to avoid missing it but I really can't because the characters left a deep mark to me. I thoroughly enjoyed this series and I think of watching another 50 episode series next but I don't really know what to watch right now. I promise that you will be very satisfied by the chemistry of Kim Hyun Joo and Ji Jin Hee so it's a must-watch!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Anyone who comes across this, you better watch I Have A Lover. I cried real hard. The sadness was bittersweet. No regrets. Cross fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, it really makes us feel the pain that we never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The drama is not worth the watch time...it is shown as a romantic melodrama but it is basically just a fight between ex-wife and mistress. It is a family feud for property and various other family assests.
    The husband is the most lucky guy in this script, even though he cheats and divirces his wife...He still recieves loads of rescpect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you understand the reason why he divorced his wife, why he hated her?

      Delete
  4. The best I've seen so far! I love how each actor play their character especially the leads, Kim Hyun Joo and Ji Jin Hee. They have the a great chemistry together. There was never a boring scene for me and every after each episode, I can't stop myself from watching the next. I just love it. I'm not a big fan of Kdramas or even Filipino ones, but this one is an exception.

    ReplyDelete