Friday, March 21, 2014

Review: MIMI


I finished this mini series last night and I found a great motivation to make a review about it today. So after finishing the film, I kind of felt withdrawals which is bizarre because I thought it's an average story, and the acting was lacking immensely despite how they look amazing onscreen. I thought Changmin was cute, handsome, passionate but in most of his acting moments, stiff and dull. On the other hand, Moon Ga Young is satisfactory though, there is still so much to improve in her acting. I found the supporting casts commendable though, like the creepy guy in front of Min Woo's apartment and the death angel or something like that. I was happy by the performances of the supporting casts and that includes the girl who has the ability to guess apartment's passwords that trespass on Min Woo's place but for a good cause - which is perhaps, concern? 
Maybe the withdrawals was because of the excellent execution of the reunion scene at the last episode in the latter minutes by Mimi and Min Woo. It was the only time that I saw Min Woo come to life through the expressive eyes of Changmin. To be honest, I didn't expect him to deliver the scene that well so at the same time, I was proud of him because I felt him and his emotion coming together so I was like, finally this is what made it worth watching. I had that kind of reassurance that I made the right choice to watch despite not being my instant favorite from the start.

I think that what made this drama effective is that the background music because it complements the drama well. And when I say that, I mean it. If I heard the songs without any storyline to watch, I couldn't really care about them but because it was presented with a drama and emotions are there, then I am able to appreciate it more than without any character. It applies to the drama as well because it wouldn't be effective if the drama wasn't accompanied by music in the background. My favorite would have to be Changmin's "I have to forget you" because he's the lead character and that would bring more life and meaning to Min Woo, his role. Another one would be the solo song of Wendy of Sm the Rookies "Because I Love You" and it's a song in Mimi's point of view hence this one supports the role of Moon Ga Young on the other hand.


Personal Opinion:
Thank goodness the two guys I was referring to as supporting cast are pretty much attractive but the downside of it was that they are creepy in most of their ways especially the death keeper since he is actually visible to people and it confuses me why he appears in front of Min Woo. He even stalks MIMI wherever she goes, I would think he likes her. Furthermore, I was just weirded by that attitude and it didn't make sense but only adds to his creepiness. Also, the emo or the gothic looking guy who eventually was an admirer of Mimi in the past was actually good looking until he became miserable because he witnessed Mimi's death. Anyway, I wished they made a closure to his character so that justice would be served to his lonely character and his suffering.

Verdict: If you want to watch a young love with a breezy feeling but at the same time, surrounded by mystery, then this one is for you. But I wouldn't recommend it to people who are critical in the acting department, and the script. The cinematography was commanding though, so there wouldn't be much of a problem with the effects. Overall, I am proud of Changmin. (fangirl bias here hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment