Thursday, March 6, 2014

First Impression: MIMI

Synopsis: 

It's a suspense thrill drama about a web toon artist, Han Min Woo (28) who temporarily lost his memory of the past 10 years. He started to feel symptoms of headache since he saw a calendar from 2003, 8th of December. Since then, he never knew how to continue the story of December 8 to move forward. Because of that, he decided to meet the person who would help him solve his problem - that is his blank memory of the past 10 years of his life.

In 2003, when he was 18 years old, he's had his first love named Mimi. But then they were separated when Min Woo and his mom moved out of the town to live elsewhere due to financial problem and he had to quit school as well because of that.

Thoughts:

The writing, cinematography and the story exceeds an average Kdrama but I can't say it's a perfect one. I love Changmin but he was a bit stiff with his facial expressions and his lack of acting experience was still apparent. Also, since he's a singer who isn't very good with lip sync, he had a hard time channeling raw emotions in acting unless the emotion is on his nature and character. Nonetheless, I would give him a passing grade because of his mysterious aura and good visuals as Min Woo. Somehow, I could see his character in him but sometimes I was hoping he'd unleash more of his facial point. Even so, he's good at acting pissed or mad. Haha, I don't think it's a talent but a nature in him.

On the other hand, Moon Ga Young has a good grade from me. I think that she's done a great job as Mimi and her acting was at the right point and place. She also has a great visuals so it complemented Changmin's. Their team up, despite 8 years age gap worked for me which is a good news to talk about. She looked mature for him and he looked young for her so it was a good blend onscreen.

I loved the Cinematography in this drama which is why despite of some lacking events, it managed to keep me interested. I learned to like Changmin's song in this drama because of the good use in the background music as it was effective to me. Furthermore, this mini series knows how to create an anticipation to what will happen next so it gets you curious. I guess, that's good for the story because it opens an opportunity for transition.

Verdict: Recommended (Very Good)
I didn't expect to like this drama to be honest because I am not a fan of mnet's dramas. However, it was nice that I was exposed into it because of Changmin's role. To my surprise, it captured me in the long run with the suspenseful series of events that happened. Overall, this is something to add up to my proud moments with Changmin. It was a really decent first impression even though this only has two (2) episodes left to air.

No comments:

Post a Comment