Sunday, January 26, 2014

Shitsuren Chocolatier First Impression: Episode 1 & 2

Okay so I have been looking for a j-dorama to watch after finishing Gokusen. Little did I know, I would find myself watching another MatsuJun drama which is currently airing in Japan. Though I had a second thought at first because I might feel deprived while waiting every week to come since this drama is not yet finished. However, I started it and was drawn at the sight of chocolate so I didn't hesitate to go all the way.

Character Description:


Matsumoto Jun as Koyurugi Sota

- he is the main character of the drama, who is inspired by heartbreak to be a Chocolatier. He may allow himself to be defeated in love but not in the matters of chocolate because he considers himself competitive.

- I think that Matsujun looks amazing as ever. I still have that occasional crush on him that never fades and together with his talent and for being in Arashi, I can't blame myself for loving him. Though, I find myself conflicted with his character in the drama, regardless of being the actor or entertainer who I really like. I think that the downside of his character is that, he is poisoned with love that it gets him irrational. On the other hand, the good side is that he looks handsome while being passionate with making chocolates. You could feel that he puts his heart, mind and soul for it. But without inspiration, like for example Saeko or women, he is drained of ideas. I thought that inspiration is important but the passion itself is enough to keep you going. Then again, I saw the childish bit of his character through that kind of attitude which I thought would be changed only if he knows how to value himself, as much as he values others and of course chocolates. Obviously, his life is in the togetherness of his passion as a Chocolatier, his conflicts, as well as the good and the bad side of his personality.

My wish for his character is growth, because I am definite to say that he hasn't grown much and that maturity is still on the process in his life. Also, I wish that he'll find the right girl whom he can share true moments of happiness with and not daydreams which only happens through his imagination.

Ishihara Satomi as Takahashi Saeko

- Saeko is Sota's senior during highschool. She is so popular that Sota was one of those guys who was mesmerized by her and tried to get closer until he is being noticed. Their relationship went okay until one day, Saeko broke up with Sota with a heavy heart, knowing that she two timed him with her ex boyfriend. Apart from being the campus' sweetheart, she also appears innocent and pure in front of Sota, hence he submits himself to whatever she likes thinking she's so vulnerable.

- I have first seen Ishihara in Rich Man, Poor Woman where I witness her and Oguri Shun build their chemistry. I think that one of the reasons why I watched this drama is her, because I also want to see her formulate her chemistry with Matsujun so I could compare the two actors. However, I don't think that I should depend on that, since it is clear to me now that I am not only after that, but also I found the story and the overall production have a great potential in as far as producing a entertaining drama to catch my attention. Going back to her, I think that she has gotten prettier or maybe she just ages beautifully. Anyhow, I like her. But I find her character a bit annoying because she is a one indecisive woman, toying men's heart and putting her charm and innocence before anything that is important to a relationship. Just like Sota, I want to see her grow and be a character full of positive changes in life brought by experiences and significant people.

Mizukawa Asami as Inoue Kaoruko

- she is a chocolatier alongside Sota long before he became successful. She saw him transform from being a non pro yet the real deal when it comes to chocolates to a professional and renowned in his craft. No matter how much she tries to suppress it, she has unrequited love for Sota.

- I am not familiar with her as an actress and this is her first drama for me to watch. I guess, she needs momentum to be unleashed in this drama and when the moment comes, she will be amazing. I hope I'm correct because I'm a sucker for underdogs. I wish that Sota would look at her as a woman because when you go deep inside a person's heart who loves from a distance, it's like a magical thing to discover. I am crossing my fingers for wonderful things to come to her life, even when it isn't noticed and recognized by Sota. Someday girl, someday.

Mizuhara Kiko as Kato Erena

- she is someone sent by Rokudo (Sato Ryuta), considered as the King chocolatier in Japan to be friendly with Sota, perhaps to sabotage whatever it is that could put him to success which threatens the crowning glory of Rokudo. Moreover, being a comrade of his, she preempts something unpleasant to Sota's life.

- I am familiar with Kiko, in fact I follow her in instagram where I sometimes fangirl her because she's pretty, trendy and is edgy but then sometimes again I find her a little bit bold for the Japanese culture. That's understandable for she is half Asian only. I know she parties a lot, and for being a model, it's something that is expected of what she does. I won't judge her but then, I couldn't help it since there's a provocative scene of her with MatsuJun in this drama which I can't seem to get over with. Gosh, this girl. Dang. Anyway, she is so lucky and I don't even know if she realizes it. I don't want my fangirl hormones to explode but, yeah they kind of look good together but she's young. And besides, MatsuJun deserves someone better. Hehe. Peace!


Mizobata Junpei as Olivier Tréluyer

- Sota's friend, a chocolatier from Paris whom he befriended in his six years of stay.

Arimura Kasumi as Koyurugi Matsuri

- She works alongside Sota, Olivier and Kaoruko in his newly launched shop.

Kato Shigeaki as Sekiya Hiroaki

- He works from Rokudo.
- I miss Shige and I was delighted to see him even when he only has limited scenes in this drama.


Overall Verdict:

It is a must try drama, a light heart one and something you can enjoy without thinking of the time passing. The cinematography is delicious, and the sight of chocolate is mouth watering. I recommend it, but for those who doesn't want to be killed by waiting, I suggest you let it finish airing first.

No comments:

Post a Comment