Saturday, December 14, 2013

2013: Top 3 Picks (Personal Favorites)

What a year of dramas for me. This is the first time in years to officially seal my obsession with watching dramas through this blog - where I can write my insights about few of the Korean and Japanese dramas I've watched over the years, and of course the current dramas I've devoted my time with this year. As we are approaching the end of 2013, I realized that I have to make a year in review of my favorites, apart from the previous official long talks I've made about them. So, now I'm here to share with you my top favorites from this year hoping to share my experience of watching them to everyone.

1. Heartless City: Review

Safe to say that this is first to be mentioned without thinking much of what to talk about first. So why Heartless City? Maybe because it was my first time this year to officially got hook with a character and unexpectedly, I saw myself watching a noir series which is pretty much not my type of drama nor have I witnessed myself watching one. I think, Heartless City, upon reading its synopsis and multiple descriptions from different blogs would still leave a great doubt of its ability to catch interest among the followers. There is still a need for emphasis that, how ever you find it impossible getting into it because you are not a fan of the plot and simply because this is not your type of drama, I think that when you get yourself pass episode 1 or 2, the interest will finally kick in as I can totally relate. To my curiosity about this drama, I couldn't care of what to take place at first and I can't concentrate on the events in episode 1, perhaps I just wanted to get over the episode and start the drama already.

The thing is that drama starts directly at episode 1, where keen attention is needed to be able to understand the coming episodes ahead, anyhow, of course you'd get to know more as you arrive to the story. But I will tell you that whether you are interested or not, for as long as there is curiosity in you, I assure that you will come to love it. Though, the process is where this drama has specialized its value.

Moving on, as I have mentioned, it's the first drama of 2013 that has brought a character come to life and that is, Ji Hyun or more known as Doctor's Son (Pak Sa). The character is portrayed by Jung Kyung Ho, and if you were a follower of my blog you may have seen few of my fangirl moments with him. Yes, until now, I can't get over at how he's amazing in this series, an excellent actor to deliver the role as if it's his own. He clearly raised up the bar in terms of character development and quality execution. I'm not saying this is the best drama of the year as I have not seen all to judge the performance of others, but it is a one of my greatest favorites ever, proud to say.

Enjoy factor: Raving / Angst


2. Nine: Nine Times Time Travel: Review

I would say, Nine is the best time travel I've seen to date. I'd be bold to tell everyone also that this drama is so complicated because of the plot - as there are twists and turns of events yet this is a well written one in a compelling way. Thanks to the writer that is behind this mind blowing story that brought two timelines running at the same time together - with the pursuit of creating determinants to the future of each timeline. I thought his/her ideas were genius - to be able to wrap up every element it has like for instance, the fantasy of two timelines integrated to the real world and while touching the heart of human values.

At first, like Heartless City, there would be doubts on this drama - that it chooses the type of audience to attract; but to me, that isn't the case at all. The story will leave you guessing of what's gonna happen next but will never leave you a hint to it. No. Let me scratch that, you will never guess of what's to take place because the plot is busy, so for every episode, you will get awestricken by how the events currently taking place rewrite its future in the two timelines.

The suspense is also reliant on the 9 incense sticks which serves as an instrument to make the mystery of time travel possible - that for every time you burn a stick which equates to 30 minutes of time travel, you go back in time. I think, that it was the smartest plot I've seen in Kdramas this year if not over the years of watching, and it also was able to deliver its main objective which is to be awesome and thrilling. So I give this drama a two thumbs up!

Enjoy factor: Jaw Dropping / Mind Boggling


3. In A Good Way: Ongoing

This drama is currently airing in Taiwan. It's about the life of college students chasing after freedom, enjoying the life of it with friends, and at the same time, being in the process of discovering oneself. Not only that this drama brings us back in time to our days of college and youthfulness (I'm not that old though) but also the delivery of the scenes are very realistic, engaging and also interesting in most of the parts through the lead characters Jia En and Liu Chuan - who both have admitted that they have electrifying chemistry on  and off screen. It's so refreshing to watch these two together as they bring a breath of fresh air to the usual leading characters we see in dramas. I think they are both (but also others) well thought that defines their character and each others' roles in their life.

Why so do you need to watch this drama? I couldn't possibly talk more about it as I have mostly did by each episode in my entries so, I would just relate to you a simple reason why. I think, everyone can relate to this drama, because the story and characters are written to come to life. They are the characters - conflicted or not, whole or broken, perfect or with flaws, that we can relate to in our lives because we all went through that same stage as we experience the same feeling without any reason to make. It will dare to melt your heart care of our couple as they are pro at sending each other awkward gazes yet with connection that is obvious.

Enjoy factor: Pleasant / Awesome Sweet / Nostalgia

No comments:

Post a Comment