Sunday, February 21, 2016

Documentary Review: Twinsters (2015)

Millennials may be skeptical on the genuineness of what social media can offer (me included), so I started blogging where I feel more at ease in expressing myself. But in this film, there is a vindication to these widely popular social media services such as Facebook and Youtube. I believe that it has brought out one of the very essences of technology which is to bring people closer together, regardless of where you are at the moment.


The documentary follows the journey of Samantha Futerman and Anais Bordier in their search for biological roots in Busan, South Korea. It has begun when Anais contacted Samantha thru Facebook on February, 2013 to give her a tap on their resemblance and their undeniable similarities such as their birth date and the place where they were born. From here, they started communicating via skype and recording every detail that has covered their plight. Though miles apart from each other, Samantha who was adopted by American couple and was based in LA while Anais who was adapted by French couple and was based in London to study; they managed to have their first trip to South Korea together and met people who may be the key to unveiling to what has went through.


I knew that this was going to be interesting the first time I saw it but I didn't know that I'd tear up a lot while watching (cried buckets). I just felt the raw emotion there is underlying between the two girls and the people around them such as their friends and families that simply made me warm and fuzzy inside. 

I would really applaud the producers, Samantha and her friend, Ryan Miyamoto because they were able to engage me and feel whatever it is that was in the present like in the moments where they exchanged messages, skyping, meeting for the first time, and doing the DNA test together. I felt that there wasn't a moment that was wasted and it felt like each of them was a breakthrough to finding their other half. Highly recommended. Pop? *pop*


No comments:

Post a Comment