Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Review: Our Times 我的少女時代 (2015)

Plot: Lin Truly reminisced the fun times in her high school with friends. Set in 1994, the story takes you in the innocence of youth, beauty of first love, sting of a heartache and friendships made. Part of her memory was being a hardcore fangirl of Andy Lau and admiring Ou Yang as the school’s most popular guy. Moreover, he tamed the bad guy Hzu Tai You and became friends with him that changed the course of her life.

Commentaries:

The liberty of youth is one that cannot be exchanged by the complicated reality of the adult world. ‘Our Times’ is a story that is familiar scene among teenagers and at the same time, nostalgic to the young adult viewers. The movie is something that is irresistible to all ages as soon as you are appreciative of its witty, feisty and heartfelt offering. But why is this Taiwanese film a huge hit among East Asian movie-goers? Is it because of the gangster and the charismatic Hzu Tai You that girls are aiming to repeatedly admire on the big screen, or because of the warm-hearted and cute Truly Lin that has captured Hzu Tai You's attention? One thing is for sure and that is, this drama has made a storm because teenagers can associate themselves to the characters while millennials can’t help but enjoy the movie as much. On the other note, the story has a cliché plot where I was reminded of plenty of the dramas I’ve seen and loved such as “Crazy little thing called love” which is a teen romance movie from Thailand, “Reply Me 1997” which is a Kdrama hit in 2012 that established tVN’s popularity, “In A Good Way” which is a feel good drama about friendship set in the 90s and lastly, I couldn’t help but notice the similarity between Hzu Tai You and Dao Ming Shi from Meteor Garden wherein both are hot tempered characters.  So I made the research and according to the articles online, I shouldn’t be surprised because F4 used to be talents of the same agency as Darren Wang (Hzu Tai You) and Vivian Sung (Truly Lin) managed by Angie Chai. To be honest, Darren Wang has the aura of Dao Ming Shi not only as Hzu Tai You but as a person himself.




Besides, Joe Chen from Fated to Love You and Jerry Yan were also guests in this series which is an exciting pair since I grew up watching these two though they never had a drama together. I hope that they’ll have a project soon because they look refreshing together onscreen which makes me wonder why they never had a drama. Drama gods, are you listening to me?

SPAZZ NOTE:




I love our OTP (Truly and Tai You) so much that I have watched some of their clips while promoting and I can’t help but love them even more. Their chemistry has reflected to what they truly are behind the screen and I don’t know if I am imagining things but Talu definitely had a thing to Vivian but girl has a boyfriend in real life so there is a cockblocker to their happy ending. I am not saying that they should be together but they have so much potential together when they are a couple in my fangirl eyes. I mean, they look good together, they laugh a lot and they have attraction to each other. Why in the universe can’t this perfection happen? Okay, but I’m hopeful for these two in the future when girl realizes what she is missing. But Talu I think is a troubled guy while Vivian is a good girl who can’t go deeper to offering friendship with him because she knows everything about him. Maybe I am just making an issue about them. Haha. But these two are made to be one of the OTPs I love definitely. Must watch!


 Adorable <3


No comments:

Post a Comment