Friday, May 9, 2014

First Impression: Triangle

                                       

Genre: Action, Family, Melodrama

This drama first caught me at Kim Jaejoong and Lee Bum Soo working together again even though I haven't seen their first project together which is Dr. Jin. Im Si Wan's casting probably became one of my reasons too to keep an eye on the showing date and such. This drama has only become a candidate out of so many interesting dramas I've had in my mind, but I really wasn't so sure whether I'm really gonna make time for it or not. Nonetheless, I've had my first impression with the trailer and that's when I decided give it a try.

What was about the trailer? Even though it was only a clip and there was just a few seconds shown, I've seen a matured Jaejoong (Heo Yeong Dal) as an actor in a role of a gangster and I had the gut feel this is going to be different from the past projects he's done. So please don't disappoint me.


Episode 1 wasn't really a surprise to me why I liked it because it justified my feelings for the trailer. I don't know why but there is something about the beginnings in the dramas I've loved for the past few months, e.g Heartless City, Nine, Angel Eyes, Thank You and In A Good Way. Triangle is one of those that has excellent sequencing to start off the episode through the scenes elaborated with the richness of emotion. Perhaps I was partly biased because I got to hear Jaejoong and Lee Bum Soo's singing voice which was heartfelt. I'm not so sure about the title of the song and the singer either so I might need to search it up. But the tone was melancholic and it lingers to the deepest core of your soul. The pain is already felt from the start and it has already made an impression. And oh! I loved the voice over made by the two characters too, I felt that it wasn't really necessary but they made it very appropriate for the scene. It's like we get to see through their thoughts which is going in depth to their superficial self.

My impression on the characters: Heo Yeong Dal is like one of those helpless guys you meet in terms of being an addict to gambling. He always puts his life is risky things, not to mention how much he risks his money. He's just unstoppable at doing things which are not beneficial to him. Is there hope for this guy to alter his outlook in life? I am not really sure and that is something to discover in progress.

The eldest of the three brothers Jang Dong Soo really has a bad temper on things and like Heo Yeong Dal, I can't decipher him yet. Maybe, he's just too frustrated to be helped by anyone and I suggest that it would be good for him to receive help, like what the psychiatrist-nim whom he had a past with is concerned about.

The youngest Jang Dong Woo (Siwan) has not been fully introduced yet but he grew up the most fortunate of them because he was adopted by a wealthy family. However, there seems to be a pressure in being their son and this has become a root of his issues and problems with his identity. 

Is this something I would recommend? Yes of course because it promises us a great opportunity for the development of the characters. Then, I also love the sequencing of events, not necessarily the transition but by how they present it one by one without overwhelming the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment