Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Review: South Bound (2013)

H
Rating: Highly Recommended

South Bound is a Korean adaptation to a novel originally written by the Japanese author, Hideo Okuda. In Japan, the said novel was also published through a film with the same title that was released in 2007.

Synopsis: It is about a film director whose works are inspired by his nature to question what the society dictates. For this reason, it provides him the concept of indifference from everything that is being sold by the media and the society to him. Through his own beliefs and efforts, he chose to live in Deul Island that was passed on to him by his ancestors. The said island serves as a prospect for economic growth and development to some politicians by building hotel and resort at the vicinity. However, as determined as Choi Hae-Kab (Kim Yun-Seok) is to fight for his ownership in the said island, he put all of his power and strength to protect the natural habitat of the people living in the area.

Commentaries:

I came across this movie in an accident and I was so happy, almost felt like finding a treasure without even hunting for it. Anyway, this film has uplifted my day in so many ways that later on, I will try to enumerate them. As you know, I'm not a picky watcher, so for as long as you've something interesting and new to offer, you've got high potential for my liking. I was really glad, I made it to this movie.

The movie is inspirational and insightful, most especially to me who has a very different take on everything that happens in my day to day life: from the moment I wake up till the time I say my prayers in my sleep. So in between these moments, there are handful of events that occur: some are happy and some are sad. And sometimes, when we focus on the things that are out of our own perspectives, we lose sight of our individual judgment. 

I thought myself, before I watched this movie, that I was the only one living in such a world. But when the story has sunk in to my realization, it has brought me so much happiness. That is because I am not alienated anymore because through this movie, my feelings got justified.

To be honest, I've always hated consumerism to the point of looking penniless in front of everyone. I don't care most of the time but as instances go by, I learn to let go of such attitude and start accepting my limits to refrain attending to my worldly needs. I know, this may sound so eccentric to most but that's where my ego has set itself. I don't want to think that I'm always right; I just want to remember that I have some people whom I can agree with.

Such joy, that this movie has showered to my experience is priceless. Do you know why? It has the element of nature, it is behavior and value oriented, it is happy despite of looking frustrated; and most especially it encourages everyone to be brave enough to rebel. Now, I feel like I could conquer everything through the beautiful message of this film: Can you see the stars clearly in the vast sky of the City? Obviously, the answer is a 'No'. Things that are so obvious but are twisted should be made clear over and over again.

The characters are interesting as well, they may be hated and discriminated by many but they feel secured through the tiny number of their close kin. The family is well related, the father lets his children do their own thing because he want to be firm with his notion that not everything is learned in school. But as a father, he never missed his chances to give his children their deserved punishment when necessary as a 'gangster' head of the family.

This is a beautiful movie, inside and out. Sharing this with everyone, who could put up with its complaints. Like what the father does when frustrated, he gets the guitar, strums it randomly and lets out his emotion through his voice with the relevant key to complete an unfinished song, the words describing what life is all about in phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment